Friday, May 21, 2010

What ARE you doing, Mom?

A week or so ago, John posted a question about baby sign language apps for the iPhone on Twitter and Facebook. (We won't get into how social networking is the main form of communication in our marriage these days.) This is something I had thought about briefly but never really seriously. As it happens a lot, my husband's inquiry led me to think about it more. I know the ASL alphabet and a couple of basic signs, but not enough to make it useful. As I am the one who's schedule, while just as busy, is more flexible, I took it upon myself to find a handy guide. I started using different signs like dog, cat, food, hungry, I love you, etc. yesterday. Poo is the most self explanatory sign I have ever seen. Anyway, CJ is... intrigued. He has always been a rather observant baby, but the look on his face as he tries to figure out why I am waving my hands around like that is priceless. Obviously, he hasn't cottoned on to the fact that the signs mean anything, but he definitely knows I am doing something different intentionally. We'll see how it goes, but I am having lots of fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment